Bring a tiny squirrel to your place and get ready to find yourself in a pickle. Just like any other pet, you would need to teach your squirrel the new norms and regulations of your house. Also, you would need to learn whether you can feed your squirrel and do squirrels like peanut butter?
Let us dive further to get all the answers.
DO SQUIRRELS LIKE PEANUT BUTTER?
If you are thinking, can squirrels eat peanut butter or do squirrels eat peanut butter then the answer is an absolute yes! Peanut butter is in fact the most effective technique that can be utilized for trapping squirrels. The best part is that you can easily purchase peanut butter from the local shops. It can easily be used as a bait to trap the squirrels.
IS PEANUT BUTTER HARMFUL TO SQUIRRELS?
Peanut butter can sometimes be harmful to squirrels if given in larger quantities. But squirrels like peanut butter so it is good it is fed in limits.
WHAT TO FEED SQUIRRELS?
Squirrels are quick creatures who eat throughout the day to maintain their body weight and energy levels. A great diet is very essential in keeping them healthy but you also need to know what foods are appropriate for them. The best kind of food available for squirrels are:
- Legumes: Squirrels are plant lovers and they love eating legumes. And among them, peanuts are their favorite thing to eat. You can also feed them other legumes like lentils, peas as they are an excellent plant protein source. So make sure to include them in your squirrels regular diet.
- Nuts: Every second person knows how badly Squirrels love safflower and sunflower seeds. These seeds provide calories to the squirrels who live only on seeds and lack calcium. Feeding them these seeds can help them gain some healthy weight.
- Fruits: It would be the best if you offer melons, apples and other fruits to your squirrel. Remember not feeding them these fruits too much as it can cause diarrhea. You can feed a little bit of these fruits to your squirrel everyday to provide them with the adequate amount of carbs and natural sugar that they need for a healthy diet.
- Vegetables: After fruits, vegetables are the most important part of your squirrel’s diet. Corn & sweet potatoes are some great as well as nutritious choices for them. They provide essential minerals and vitamins to the squirrel.
FOOD YOU SHOULDN’T FEED SQUIRRELS
In general, squirrels will try almost everything but, you can always see some exceptions like:
- Squirrels absolutely hate chillis, the spiciness and heat of chilli is something their stomach cannot endure. So, make sure to keep chillies away from squirrels.
- Avoid feeding raw garlic or onions.
- There are certain flower bulbs that squirrels won’t eat like allium, snowdrops, and daffodils.
FACTS ABOUT SQUIRRELS
They have four teeth in their front row that can grow continuously throughout their lives. This ensures that their teeth don’t really wear out. These rodents have great little bodies. For instance, a squirrel has cushioned feed and can jump from 20 feet long. Their eyes are high on their head and are placed on the side of their head so they can see a massive amount of their surroundings without having to move a lot.
If you are having a squirrel, it’s your duty to keep it healthy and secured by feeding it in the right manner. Remember that pets and animals are a part of nature and we should harm their health by fooling around.