Tobramycin Ophthalmic Solution is a sterile antibiotic solution that is used for the treatment of external ophthalmic infections in dogs, cats, and horses. Tobramycin is an active ingredient that is a water-soluble antibiotic that is effective against various gram-negative and gram-positive pathogens. If you are wanting to give this solution to your pet for a reason then you need to have a prescription which is prescribed by your veterinarian.
THE USE OF TOBRAMYCIN OPHTHALMIC SOLUTION IN DOGS
Tobramycin ophthalmic solution is a prescribed antibiotic eye drop used in animals to treat bacterial infections, especially in the eyelids, eyes, or conjunctiva. Your veterinarian may prescribe the tobramycin ophthalmic solution for dogs or cats if they are suffering from any kind of bacterial infection in their eye. The tobramycin ophthalmic solution may also be prescribed to treat bacterial conjunctivitis which is also known as Pink Eye. The tobramycin ophthalmic solution may also be prescribed to treat bacterial infections which have not even responded to any other antibiotics. Tobramycin does not treat any kind of viral infections.
If after giving the tobramycin ophthalmic solution also your pet’s condition doesn’t improve then stop using the product and consult with your veterinarian. The tobramycin ophthalmic solution is only meant for topical ophthalmic use only. If your pet shows any kind of reaction then discontinue use and immediately consult with your veterinarian.
HOW TO USE TOBRAMYCIN SOLUTION IN DOGS?
The medication of tobramycin for dogs usually starts showing its effect within an hour or two. It may happen that you may not see the effects of the medication outwardly. Your pet should start feeling better within a day or two. The effects of this medication do not last for long which means that it’ll stop working within 24 hours.
Use the tobramycin ophthalmic solution as instructed by the veterinarian. The dosage of tobramycin ophthalmic solution is usually 1- 2 drops in each of the affected eyes within every 12 hours of duration or as suggested by your veterinarian.
Tip: Do not touch the dropper to any surface including the surface of the dog’s eye and you can adjust the dosage based on your veterinarian’s recommendations.
DOSE OF TOBRAMYCIN EYE DROPS
The tobramycin eye drops dose is different in humans and animals. For all the patients ≥ 2 months of age, instill 1-2 drops in the infected eye after every 4 to 6 hours. If the infection is severe then instill 2 drops into the infected eye after every half an hour or until it starts showing improvement and then reduces the dosage intervals as prescribed.
Patients using the tobramycin ophthalmic solution should wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water both before and after using the eye drops. It is advised not to wear contact lenses during the treatment of an eye infection. Must not touch the tip of the dropper while administering the eye drops. After applying the eye drops, wait for at least 5 minutes if the other eye drop preparations are also used.
WHAT OTER SUPPLEMENTS OR DRUG INTERACTS WITH TOBRAMYCIN EYE DROPS?
The information on possible drug interactions with tobramycin ophthalmic drops is not yet found. Usage of therapeutic levels of tobramycin eye drops doesn’t result in meaningful levels of the drug in the blood. The potential of interaction with other supplements is quite low. The patients who are using other eye drops or those with pre-existing conditions of the eye must visit the doctor or pharmacists for check-up before using the tobramycin ophthalmic eye drops.
SIDE EFFECTS OF TOBRAMYCIN EYE DROPS
The use of tobramycin eye drops is limited to the area of application. Some of the side effects related to tobramycin eye drops are:
- Swelling of the eyes
- Itching, burning, or stinging kind of sensation in the eyes
- It may also cause temporary vision problems like you may see everything blurred
- Don’t try to do any kind of harmful activities like driving before the vision improves
Any medicine can cause allergic reactions or side effects if it’s not taken as directed by the doctor. If you feel any such problem then do consult with your doctor and seek medical help. Some of the symptoms of allergic reactions include:
- Swelling of face, tongue, and throat
- Difficulty in breathing
FACTS ABOUT TOBRAMYCIN OPHTHALMIC
- Tobramycin is available as 0.3% ophthalmic solution in the form of ointment or eye drops
- The solution must be stored at a room temperature between 20°C and 25°C Or 68°F and 77°F
- Tobramycin is available in a generic form, so you need a prescription before buying this solution
USING OF ANTIBIOTIC EYE DROPS FOR DOGS
Ciprofloxacin Eye Drop is an ophthalmic solution that is a broad spectrum of antibiotic eye drops for dogs as well as for cats which effectively treats bacterial infections and has the power to treat eye infection as fast as possible.
FACTS ABOUT CIPROFLOXACIN ANTIBIOTIC EYE DROPS FOR DOGS
- It helps to kill bacteria present in the eye including conjunctivitis.
- Because of the dropped top it becomes easy to take the dosage.
- These antibiotic eye drops must be given for several days as prescribed by your pet’s veterinarian for after results.
- It is not preventive medicine.
- Store the medicine at room temperature, in the refrigerator, away from moisture and sunlight.
- Don’t use the medicine if it changes its color, if you see any kind of particles in the solution, or if the solution has become cloudy.
- Don’t throw the medicine here and there, dispose of the medicine in the trash and keep it away from children.
- There are approximately 20 drops per ml in the solution.
After reading this article it can be concluded that the Tobramycin ophthalmic solution is totally safe for dogs, but it should not be used on your pet’s unless and until the eye drop is prescribed by the veterinarian, because it may cause harm to his eyes. If the medicine is discolored then don’t use it. Use the medicine under the proper guidance given by your pet’s veterinarian.