Vestibular diseases are related to the nervous functions of the body. They directly relate to the brain and the nerves of the inner ear. It is mostly responsible for correct posturing of a dogs body while doing various kinds of activities. If any problem is caused to a dogs vestibular system, it will cause the brain and nerves of the inner ear to not react as required and may cause physical issues to the dog.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF VESTIBULAR PROBLEMS IN DOGS
- Frequent stumbling: This is normally the first and more prominent sign of a dog having vestibular system issues. While walking, their body posture is not supported by the brains as it should be and causes frequent tripping problems with dogs. They may slowly start abstaining from going for walks and other such activities.
- Imbalanced walking: It may be observed that a dog is not walking in a straight line or is walking with a non linear motion giving an impression of being drunk. It may be mainly due to a vestibular system weakness.
- Imposition of head: Initial problems in vestibular system of dogs may cause a slight tilt of the head position of dogs. It might appear to be off axis. Heads being a major weight manager, has to be perfectly aligned to the position a dog is in and any problem in the head position can cause several other issues.
WHAT IS THE OLD DOG VESTIBULAR DISEASE TREATMENT?
Vestibular diseases can be a serious problem is left untreated. It requires the right treatment for proper care of such diseases. Following recommendations might be useful in treating it.
- Consulting a veterinarian: Every dog is unique from each other and is required to be treated uniquely. The best option for treating the dog is visiting a veterinarian. They can conduct several tests and assess the exact problem your dog has been suffering from. He can also provide the right medicine and remedial action for prompt well being of the dog
- Medication: the commonly used drug for treating is benadryl for vestibular disease in dogs. It can be given in mild doses or as suggested by the vet.
- Home treatment for dogs: If the vestibular disease is observed to be mild, it may be useful to treat your dog at home first followed by a visit to the veterinarian if needed. How can vestibular disease in dogs home treatment be done?
While at home, following care must be taken to ensure a comfortable time for a recovering dog:
- Avoid slippery surfaces around the dog: Due to imbalance, dogs can slip more easily than ever before. To make sure they tumble less, you may need to use a rug on the floor so that when your dog moves around, it may not fall and end up injuring itself.
- Using a soft bedding for the dog: When the dog is suffering from vestibular disease, one way to ensure good care is to ensure that the bedding for dog is completely soft. A hard or rigid surface may cause restrictions on movements of dog bones and muscles and end up causing greater damage.
While treating the vestibular disease in your old dog at home, start by taking care of the environment around the dog and using benadryl for vestibular disease in dogs. In case of continued problem, you should consider visiting a veterinarian for appropriate and specific opinion.