If you are having a backyard at your home then you are aware of the guests who occasionally visit from non-feathered wildlife. Butterfly coming and sipping from the hummingbird feeder, raccoon getting caught snacking on suet. But have you ever thought that if a bear comes calling, then it’s necessary to take strong action by using bear proof bird feeder and stay safe from these uninvited dangerous visitors?
Before taking any step towards keeping the bear away, first, call the local office to know if using a bird feeder is allowed during active bear months or not. There are some areas where bear activity is common, so the feeders are restricted or prohibited to reduce the risk of unwanted counters. If the are guidelines already mentioned then do follow all the recommendations for bear-proof safety. Even without taking the help of the local restrictions, there are many other ways to help bear-proof bird feeders and feeding stations.
- Hang the feeder high
- Install a bear-proof bird feeder pole
- Keep the areas underneath your feeders clean
- Try to put out less food for your birds
- Choose foods that are not pleasing to bears
- Use spicy food to avoid bears
- Use motion-activated sounds or lights
- Inspect your yard for other sources of food
- Bring your feeders down when bears are active
WHAT ARE POLE MOUNTED BIRD FEEDERS?
Pole-mounted bird feeders are known as the best-kept secret for bird watchers. Pair your bird feeder with a baffle to keep the squirrels and raccoons away. It’s important to find out which pole-mounted feeders are there and which one will work well.
- Four Sided Bird Feeder
- Fly Through Bird Feeder
- Triple Bird Feeder
- Coppertop Wood Gazebo Bird Feeder
- Cedar And Cypress Bird Feeder
WHERE SHOULD YOU HANG A BIRD FEEDER ON POLE?
The best place to hang the bird feeder on the pole is where the visiting bird feels secured from unwanted guests or predators. But most importantly it is suggested to avoid any kind of noisy or open areas and hang the bird feeder at eye level or a little above it. It is advised not to hang the feeders too close to any such places where any kind of predators can reach or jump on them and neither should they be hung too low so that it becomes easy for the cat’s to reach out.
FACTS ABOUT A RACCOON PROOF BIRD FEEDER
During the chilly winter months, not only birds or squirrels, there are also many animals who come out in search of food. When it comes to nocturnal mammals, raccoons come first in the list, as they are attracted to food sources. If you have already found out a way to keep the squirrels away, but keeping raccoons away at that time you will need to come up with a strategy to keep them away.
So, here are some of the different ways for raccoon proof bird feeder to keep the raccoons away.
- Feeding your birds only one day at a time
- Clean all the leftover food from the ground
- Use old fashioned waterworks instead of the new ones
- Make it difficult for raccoons to climb your feeder pole
- Sprinkle a little spice in your birdseed
- Place a seed catching tray directly under your feeders
- Use a caged feeder
So, by now you know that raccoons eat birdseed because they are nocturnal mammals, but there are many ways to keep them out of the bird feeders. Hope that some these of ideas will definitely work for you after reading the article.