HOW MANY DUBIA ROACHES TO FEED A BEARDED DRAGON – A HANDY GUIDE

Pogona Vitticeps, commonly known as bearded dragons, is one of the best varieties of lizards that you can have as a pet. Just like humans, bearded dragons are super playful and careful as well. They are filled with enthusiasm when they are being fed, especially around crickets or dubia roaches. When we talk about feeding them, you should be aware of how many dubia roaches to feed a bearded dragon. 

Read further to get more information on bearded dragon’s care and its benefits. 

dubia roaches for bearded dragons

BENEFITS OF DUBIA ROACHES FOR BEARDED DRAGONS

Bearded dragons love eating and they eat everything with immense passion. It’s quite a fun thing to see them eating. As omnivores, their overall diet consists of little rodents, insects and plants as well. Well, how many dubia roaches to feed a bearded dragon? Young dragons eat approximately 80% insects and 20% greens and plants. On the other hand, an adult dragon consumes 80% plants and greens and just 20% insects. 

Whenever it comes to insects, experts recommend dubia roaches because they provide a plethora of benefits. They consist of everything that your bearded dragon would ever need in their diet to stay healthy and secured. Along with micro and macro nutrients, these insects provide a lot of proteins to your dragon. 

For your bearded dragon, live food benefits it immensely. The best part is that roaches don’t smell like other insects. They’re great to store. You can simply store them in a container ik a dark space and just feed them with food and water. You also don’t need to worry about them infesting your home. 

One more best part is that bearded dragons simply enjoy eating dubia roaches. They can’t get enough of these insects so you won’t have to change their food often and also won’t face any difficulty too.

HOW TO KEEP DUBIA ROACHES FOR BEARDED DRAGONS? 

You don’t really require much to provide a secure and happy home to your dubia roaches for bearded dragons. Here’s everything you should know. 

  • Dark Colored Plastic Bin With A Lid

Make sure the container you select has smooth sides. Roaches do not crawl up the walls but they can easily glide through smooth surfaces. Also, if you opt for a plastic container, be sure to cut out a ventilation hole in the lid. 

  • Egg Crates

You can also purchase egg crates from your local grocery shop. Roaches love scampering in and out of the crevices. If you don’t have many roaches, you can just pull them apart the standard size egg cartons and use the bottoms. 

how to keep dubia roaches for bearded dragons

CAN BEARDED DRAGONS EAT ROACHES? 

Bearded dragons are omnivores and can eat both vegetables and insects. Some dragons might even eat lizards and mice. Also, they love eating dubia roaches and other insects along with fruits, plants and vegetables. 

When contemplating, how many dubia roaches should you feed your bearded dragon, then the answer differs by age. A full grown adult dragon can eat almost four to five roaches over the course of two three feedings regularly on a per day basis. On the contrary, you’ll definitely require a higher amount of roaches for baby dragons. They mostly eat 25 to 50 of these insects and can be fed multiple times in a day. 

A fully grown bearded dragon needs around 2 inches of dubia roaches and a baby dragon needs dubia roaches that are smaller than the space in between the eyes. 

can bearded dragons eat roaches

WRAPPING UP

While dubia roaches are an amazing source of diet for bearded dragon, you can always get substitutes for them and feed them with some more variety like mealworms, waxworms or superworms. 

Please follow and like us: